9.6.13

Lost in Translation


For those of you who are just too cool and didn't see my Facebook entry this morning, there was a bit of an explosion over breakfast. As I got out of the lift onto the roof, (porridge and coffee in hand), I was greeted by an unexpectedly large number of people. This would have been slightly odd at the best of times, as the roof is usually quiet, but it was 7am and today is Sunday. To make the whole thing more dramatic, there were also two or three helicopters circulating overhead. I was immediately approached by someone who must have spotted the bemused look on my face, and told that an 11-story building was about to be blown up on Governors Island.  At this point I was quite pleased I had my porridge as it provided a snack to go with the live entertainment. After a tense build up, everyone waiting in silence with their cameras poised, there was a incredibly loud, rippling bang followed by a massive, expanding ball of smoke, like a giant piece of cotton wool. Then after all the excitement everyone went back inside, (and probably back to bed!) which gave me chance to enjoy my coffee in peace. 





Later, at the store, I had a few more bemused moments! A lady said 'I'm sorry for busting your chops.' I was like 'Er...excuse me?' I've since looked it up on 'Urban Dictionary.com', (I know I'm totally lame, but it feel I need to know what it means in case someone says it to me again), and for your information (and mine!), it means 'I'm sorry for giving you a hard time' or for being demanding, which incidentally she wasn't. I was also asked if we sold 'dopp kits'. After asking the girl to repeat herself several times, I ended up asking her to spell it but was still none the wiser. I later found out that it's an 'old school' word for washbag (well why didn't she just say so??!). 

This afternoon was full of more excitement - I cleaned the windows, I had a squeegy and everything! And then I went to say hi to my new furry friend from the store next door, Hope. She's the incredibly cool dog from Foxy & Winston


I bet she knew what 'Busting your chops' meant!




Of course I did get some proper work done in between all the nonsense! It was a very entertaining day, now time for a drink! 








No comments:

Post a Comment